Monday, January 21, 2008

monday monday

I have the holiday but I decided to run in, taking care of several errands along the way. I must be going completely mad, I bought a feed size bag of whole flax. Its not bad enough we started 'baking dog cookies' with flax? Well since the dogs are eating them well (hey I even think they taste ok before they get hard) I figured its no sense buying little containers of cold-milled flax powder I'm sure it cost a bomb, + flax is good for horses --not that I think many of ours need it, but it won't hurt to give Duke some, of course I also had to buy a coffee grinder to grind the flax seed, got 3 bags of the mini-feed while I was at the feed store. Two thumbs up for Kaiser Permanente, I called to see if they could FIX my bifocals --a screw that holds the frame around the lens was getting loose/stripped and kept working loose faster and faster after I tightened it. While I was going in there I had them work on my old glasses --she fixed the earpiece screws so they aren't all wobbly and I had her work on my perscription sunglasses -lenses were popping out of the frame real easy. They don't even have a co-pay to have them work on glasses frames! I picked a slow day so I think the gal was happy to do all that. Might have been different with a line of folks behind me, but I am very pleased with the customer service.

The horses only got basic feed today. Too cold to mix Sadie a mash with aloe, it would have froze right away and my fingers were chilled so I just gave Grey, Shade and RazzMo all the standard stuff I give my workers- with MSM and corta-flex. No extra goop for Grey's tendon today. Its far enough out from the initial injury that it shouldn't matter, of course I looked today and it seemed extra swollen -frown. I hope he is not tearing around too much being with Shade and Razz. He should be ready for some pasture activity now. Hopefully it just looked bigger because he was standing funny with a bit of snow in his feet. They get trimmed wednesday so that should fix excess snowballing.

At least I got Dukes stall in shape yesterday. Got all the old wet hay up and put down a couple gallons of limestone powder and raked some fine sand over his pee spot he had build up. I also left a bit of loose hay outside the stall, maybe he'll take the hint and stop peeing inside. Dad didn't get to the tractor and my quick run to get a bit of rubber matting in the morning turned into a fairly big project. The guy had a 6-8 foot diameter roll of conveyer belting. I thought he had told me he only had a 6-8 foot length. Well we got about 30 foot unwound and he cut it into 10 ft lengths for me as we unwound it (I had told him I'd take 6 10 ft lengths --thinking I'd make it worth his while ) and then it was stuck and he was going to need his tractor again to get anymore off the roll. I told him I'd take what I had so far and see how it worked. Its kind of slick so I'm not sure about putting it in stalls but I like it for feeding mats but I am not sure about getting any more of it. I had a line on some outdoor carpet and that would probably be lighter to work with and maybe has some texture even if I use it upside down --or the mini's could keep busy working hay leaves out of the plastic grass I suppose. But I have to call and see if that guy still has some of his carpet left.

No comments: