Wednesday, January 26, 2022

A week when I hate my work(place)

We had to buy RH licenses for some PGD hosts and the bosses way of estimating clocks.   The cost effective way to do that was to buy a group of licenses that is 8 more than are/will be needed.   I had inquired of IT about just putting RH on the cpu for my pet ground based project and they informed me of this.   BUT the big boss says no go unless the not actively funded project would pay part of the group license AND  "Weren't we going to end this ground based processing community service effort"  ending was NEWS to ME.   and the boss that was part of the project never responded.  

So being a stubborn redneck red head I am spending hours updating codes so the project will work like our orbital processing does on the open source OS.  And I will figure most of that as educational etc and not charge it to the residual funds only project because pffffttttttt them.   I had expected I would need to do this updating, but I just had to be 'clever' and find out from IT if it would indeed be too costly to just put the licensed vs open source OS on the CPU and when I heard "oh we have extra licenses and it doesn't take very long for us to do this" I thought that would be the most efficient route.   Wrong.   Even if the big boss wasn't being snotty about can't use an excess license without $$ it probably was going to take a fair bit of work for IT and the software engineer to get things to build.  I guess I figured that would be easy peasy since boss built things on his clock systems but he did do one as a build from source code tarballs not an rpm and then just did scp   -r to the other systems, no building of rpms like the regular processing uses.  

OK, this is no biggie other than I'm having a longer outage than I had expected with my 'products'.

But the overall work bosses have decided to mandate covid vaccines by Mar 1st, even though sundown Joe's EO demanding them for federal contractors has been blocked until Mar 1 and by then only mutated variants that amount to a basic cold virus will be around.  Sooo retarded, and so much for the "legal tells us we HAVE to comply with the EO" excuse for deciding that they the employer, not the employees, get to make medical decisions.

I'm not out of a job on Mar 1st cuz they already gave me a religious exemption but I'm still pissed that they are proceeding with the big state nanny move and especially since covid is burning out and the current vaccines do fuck all against the current covid strains.   I guess I should be happy about their mask dropping.   The thing is I didn't want to have to job search or become an entrepreneur, that was why I applied for the exemption last year, and I still don't want to, I  am barely keeping the house livable and the horse pens semi safe now.  I don't see where I'd find the time or energy for a job switch but health insurance is stupid expensive, I feel like I'd end up pretty pinched if I tried to just do an early retirement almost10 years before I'm eligible for medicare. 

No comments: