Sunday, June 22, 2014

Rode Sadie about 17 or 18 miles over the last 3 days

Saturday later in the afternoon I rode Sadie.  It was overcast and rumbling to the east so I thought it might have to be just a very short ride but it then it cleared up so I did my usual 5 mile loop.   It took me some extra fiddling when I put the easy boot gloves on to get her RF foot to point forward instead of toed out.   She didn't seem to have any soreness.

Today I hauled her and Lady and picked up the draft-X and we went trail-riding at Table Mountain again.   We still haven't seen all the trails there and have gone a new direction each of the 3 trips.   The draft-X was being stubborn, stopping and eating.   R had not brought her crop because he'd been being so good for her at home.   So I went back to the trailer and got my cut off stock whip for her to use as a crop.  He was still pushing her buttons until we turned and went on the nice graveled wide trail up to the top.   He perked up and started trotting and cantering for her going up the hill and then was good up on top.   Good practice for them.  Sometimes you have to push through a rough start to get a good ride and the horse has to learn that sulking at the start doesn't mean the rider is going to quit from getting so frustrated.

Sadie felt like she might be just a tad off again at the end of the ride though.   Hopefully not very,  but if I don't get some successful long rides on her through next weekend I'm going to have to skip the 30 mile ride and only take her in the fun rides when we go up to WY on the 4th of July.   I have to call the farriers Dr Mike gave me and see if any of them could/would do "Hoof-Tec, glue on shoes etc.   I'm thinking that might be what she needs.  Or maybe I'm just getting a hypochondriac thing going but I don't think so.   I hope I have a sound horse to ride this fall or at least next year.  

Trying to be positive and appreciate that my little greenie is getting better mentally.  She met bikers with aplomb today,  just looked at the deer that had the grace to just stand and look at us instead of crashing out of brush as we went by etc etc so she is doing pretty well on that aspect.  

No comments: