Wednesday, June 18, 2014

In engineering they say faster cheaper better, pick up to 2

Well an internet friend that lives nearish to me is horse shopping for her DH after deciding that they needed to place a horse that has become dangerous to ride in groups with a rescue.   Another internet friend that is a thousand miles away sent me a pm  in case I knew anyone looking to place a horse.

Well friend A wants a gelding with 'no buck or kick',  can keep up with gaited horse trail-riding, no diet restrictions and can be on pasture with her horse and oh yeah wants all that for under 2K plus wants to have a trial period.

Ummm,  even if I was very connected with a lot of horse owners and knew someone looking to sell I would not be encouraging them to drop their price to only 2K if they had one with all the desired traits. Plus A does provide good care, but has had a lot of turnover in horses and from the 2nd hand internet chatter I think she made a Cushings horse endure for quite a bit too long rather than facing the grief for the good of the horse -- so no I could not reassure someone that its OK to take quite a bit less money because they'll know the horse has a lifelong great home.

But I'm not connected with folks selling horses and I did see a lot of ads on the local craigslist that came fairly close to 3 out of 4 on As checklist so she may well get lucky although I doubt the group of folks selling a horse for less money overlap a whole lot with the group that will do trials.   But A has a loaner horse so she can take her time looking.   Maybe she will be the fit for a horse that someone would have otherwise sold to someone who would overuse it or get laid off and end up underfeeding it.  I am just glad that I don't have any connections with folks selling so I don't have to try to advise --'probably good owner but you should hold out for closer to your asking price' or whatever.  

No comments: