Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sadie gets her wolf teeth out tomorrow ....

I have to remember to get out and feed early so she has a chance to eat. She has been being pretty good with the sidepull so I think the teeth were bugging her. Not perfect but pretty easy to correct when she gets a bit snotty. I think its possible she has a bit of an ulcer, she seems to almost need to snatch some grass to sooth herself. Well I'll see what transpires. If she has them she may be able to recover without medication.

2 comments:

Gerrick said...

Wolf teeth? Is this a stage in horses teeth or is it a dental thing like braces?

Teresa/ride4fun said...

Wolf teeth are vestigial? teeth in horses. Not all horses even have them. They are not grinding teeth to digest hay or grass, nor incisors for grazing. They also happen to be right at the corner of their mouth where a bit sits, so all they do is cause issues because the bit is giving the horse a toothache.

My vet said Sadie has canine teeth that will probably erupt in 6 months but I think I keep my headstalls snug enough that she wont have any issues. --The canines do just come in only around 5 years of age on a horse I guess. I don't know a lot about equine dentistry, been fairly lucky and have not had too many learning experiences in that area.