Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I may spend some of the holiday fencing.

Grey Moun was not on board with my plan to have him clean up some hay AJ had left in his stall and eat soaked pellets w/o anyone to take some of his share. I think I may try to put Lady back in with him and Shade and Razz in with Sadie and CJ so chowhound Razz isn't eating part of the food that Grey should get. I think I also need to find an equine dentist to take a power tool and grind out where Grey has a gap that collects some food and slows him down. Dr Mike said that was an option, he has resisted getting power tools and just uses manual rasp tools to even up horses' teeth. In the short term I'll probably start pulling Grey out to do some extra eating when I ride or am just dinking around at home but just tie him next to the fence so he'll eat instead of worrying about being taken away from his buddy(s). Silly old boy.

Sadie was a bit pouty being ridden today, I kept wondering if the pad had picked up a sticker or if the saddle was pinching somewhere but I think its mostly just 4 year old testing of limits. I'll watch for pain and stuff but she'll have to live with going out for light work when I want to, not just when she is bored in the paddock. She would swing to acting happy and moving out really well so I don't think there was any saddle pinching. Possibly there was a sticker that she only felt when trotting, although I didn't find any when I got home and unsaddled.

I ordered some christmas photo cards, with the MaahDaahHey group pic from this summer. Now I really really better get in gear and send out cards and a holiday letter in early December instead of around valentines day like I did last year.

The saddle makes will cut down my fenders into a strap for no charge. Yay, if they were going to charge a huge amount I might have figured I should just buy some craft knives and do it myself, but the fenders have a bit of a curve so I couldn't just take a straight edge to mark where to cut. So happy they will do it, they at least have 100's of hours of practice cutting leather.

Grateful for - the saddle maker's above. My close mechanic says he can replace my transmission temperature sensor and can recommend some independent diesel mechanics if he thinks one of the cylinders isn't firing right or anything.

Ole was a good dog today. He especially adores going riding when L comes out to ride Lady. Today a neighborhood dog was hanging near the intersection so I had to convince Sadie that she could just wait around until Ole came past there. Ole did just stay on our road and keep on heading home and the other dog then had to go put his pee on the spot by that corner. I don't know if the dogs are all trying to claim that spot or if its just a doggy greeting thing.

Grateful that work is slow today and I'm able to just catch up on some data archiving that does not require intense thought

Grateful that the building is blissfully quiet today. When I was a student I could study in the food court area and just tune out all the talking, now it seems like I can't even deal with song lyrics sometimes. This was not an effect of aging I had expected.

No comments: