Thursday, October 20, 2011

WOohoo

I put in a hack fix to a computer program at work to force it to consider some data of a new type it had been ignoring and it improved my test case hour I was playing with. I wanted to announce it in person to my supervisor but he's at the U this afternoon and everyone else in the group that would know that we are even processing this data had left early or was working off site as well.

I have been riding a bit again. I am so blessed to have that outlet to keep me sane. I've been taking Sadie out and have had her cross the now dry irrigation ditch where it has gradual banks and the ATVer's have made good paths to improve her confidence. The first time I led her across then mounted rode a bit and she was ready to cross back to the home side with just a little urging. Yesterday I asked her to cross without dismounting and it took just a little patient urging to get her started. I have not told dad yet that CJ will probably have to tote whatever rifle I'll use in its hard-sided ATV case while we ride out and RazzMo may have to lead quite a bit since I'll be on a greenie instead of taking Grey Moun. Razz prefers to let another horse be in front, he doesn't seem to feel much need to stay alert for stuff from behind so he mentally relaxes when he is not leading.

Shade is back to being in pretty good weight and I'm starting to ride her again too. She was so tense on sunday because we could hear someone plinking in the general direction I wanted to go. I was like "no wonder I think Sadie is such an easy greenie horse, my old solid horse always keeps me in practice for that kind of thing." Better today although Shade was all intent on an ATV that looked to be running a dog inside one of the pasture sections that backs to the dirt road I was riding on for a while and I changed up the route rather than go right by that pasture. A fun ride but dumb dog Ole lost track of me and I had to send dad out to fetch him because I was going to be late to work and we have a theoretically regular thursday meeting --of course they skipped it today -- seems like that happens almost every time I push something aside to make it on time when I'm having a very late start to my workday.

I'm probably going to get into some more reading for fun this winter. I had stopped reading books this summer to do more riding and stuff --so much easier to walk away from a blog than a really good book; but I brought up the kindle app on my laptop this weekend and started a sci-fi ebook I had downloaded this spring when it was offered as a freebie to introduce the new author. Finished the story this morning and I did enjoy it enough that I'll probably buy one or two of his books now; although I am not sure that I'll like the whole series. It was pretty good other than corporations as the villains -- *I* just can't see it being all that profitable for a company to fund their own military and take over worlds from other 'colonists' have slaves etc. But the good guys were modeled after a republic, with anyone free to develop and have an independent business and laws that protected everyones property rights, an elected parliament that controlled the military etc. so I set aside my "but it takes a stronger motive than profit to drive actual wars for territory etc" and enjoyed the story. Shoot, now I'll have to edit this post when I'm home and put in the author name and book title.

Book was "Origins (Spinward Fringe series) by Randolph Lalonde.

No comments: