Thursday, October 27, 2011

Okaay, Sadie has shoes, my car has an emissions cert....

I mailed in my car and p/u registrations at the same time -- I really really scrutinized the fine print on the back of the cards in case I needed to send a copy of the insurance paperwork because I thought I remembered they wanted it now. However I did NOT scrutinize the front of the cards. They wanted emissions on my car and proof of insurance for the p/u and I totally missed those bits. I had already chronically forgotten to send it in for the car and my 1 month grace period is up on monday.

So after calling the farrier and establishing "we thought you were coming today --pushing back 1 day from the snowstorm not 1 week" he came out about 11 am. Sadie was quite good for the first 3 shoes getting nailed on and then she decided she was done and was just bratty trying to take her last foot away before he was done, but he got that last shoe nailed on. Lady got her feet trimmed and was pretty good, a nice change from how she has ususally been for hoof trimming. Very late start getting headed to work but I got to thinking I should test my car today because if I waited until friday and it failed I'd have almost no time to get repairs done and get retested. Thankfully it passed, even the gas cap test (I thought that might fail because my check engine light is always on and the gaskets around the cap look slightly cracked.) So now I can swing by tomorrow after my chiro appt and get my new tags.

Now I have to do some web research and find out if the election is just a mail in ballot and I have missed seeing mine or what. I dang well intend to vote NO (they wont have a HELL NO option) on the tax increase to fund schools. They are not making the case very well when they announce in the ominous voice "some students even have to PAY to ride the school bus" oh cry me a river, I had free bus service about 1/2 the time I was in school, parents had to get us there when we were a country school, we had to walk when we lived in town a couple years.... oh and Colorado happens to fund "higher education" very poorly -2nd worst in the country or something so sinister voice tries to imply that this means primary education is also under funded.

Colorado universities manage to get by with low state funding because they draw in lots of out of staters to the engineering and business colleges at CU and the veterinary and perhaps other colleges at CSU; plus CU is drawing in "liberal arts students" that want to go to a party school, perhaps within driving distance for skiing and the parents apparently are willing to pay or have their kids take on mongo loans to do so just to get them out of the household for a few years and get a college degree even though its got to be considered fairly worthless on the spectrum of college degrees. And then they have research professors that enjoy living in scenic foothills so they can offer somewhat cheaper salaries and attract researchers that bring in grant money from the various federal agencies (NASA, Dept of Def. NSF etc etc) that makes up for a fair bit of lack of state funding.

No comments: