Friday, August 5, 2011

I need to seriously battle goatsheads this weekend

I cannot stand it. I am going to try to get the spring-tooth out with a pickup and get the goatsheads pulled up but not diced and replanted in the little pasture and along the edge of the bean weeds in the bigger paddock and then go back sack up a bunch of the nasty things to get rid of the burrs (which are also seeds for next year) . The arena and the corral area of the mini's also should be worked up again, else there will be lots of burrs to go to seed for next year.

I don't know if I'll buy anymore weevils next year. I am thinking they don't make enough dent although they do seem to be helping in the mini's alleyway area. I might get some and just commit to being around to put them out where I want them but I'm thinking maybe I would be farther ahead just getting out and spraying the damn goatsheads.

I also want to mount my solar light on my used travel trailer meant to become storage and camping spot in WY; see if dad will see what is up with my awning on my horse trailer and do some general horse riding and fun stuff.

2 comments:

Gerrick said...

I don't suppose you can rototill them under before they go to seed?

Teresa/ride4fun said...

Tilling works pretty well, if done in time. I had dad rototill the arena and the mini's big corral and just put 1 unit weevils in the alleyway and stall runs that are inaccessible with the tractor. That concentration of weevils seems to be having some positive effect.

BUT I have this huge patch of goatheads that had had weevils set out so I didn't till them 3-4 weeks ago but now I gave up on the weevils and I could not stand to just wait and try to burn them with the weed torch this fall (trying to burn up the burrs didn't work that well last time I tried it anyway)

Plus the tractor is off getting serviced or something so the spring tooth is the only implement available this weekend. I'm taking a break from sacking up pulled up goatheads right now. I fill a couple of feed sacks and take a break and then fill a couple more.