Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Geez, good thing I was hoarding

Well I consider it stockpiling. But anyway usually only need the 12 hr original sudafed overnight (and generic works for me) and then I maybe take 1 of the unrestricted sudafed pe 4-6 hr tabs during the day, but I usually try to buy the maximum allowed 3 boxes of the 12 hour every month so that if I get hammered by allergies or a sinus infection like I had at the start of the year I wont run out if I can only get to a drugstore 2x in a month.

Well 4 or 5 times in the last 2 or 3 months Target has not had any when I've swung by their pharmacy counter. Getting sudafed at a great price with just short wait for pharmacy staff has been a big reason why I buy my groceries there although the tv dinner food I buy to heat and eat at work is usually pretty decent priced.

Now we are in a temporary office building for 8 months and I don't have the fridge space I had before so I can't buy a 1.5 weeks supply of frozen dinners and just put in the work fridge, and they rarely have 12 sudafed (brand name or store brand) available so I guess I'll start swinging by Walgreens instead. They did have their 12 hr sudafed store brand the one time I stopped last month. I guess I'll find out if that was a lucky day to stop or if they are managing to keep it in stock.

I looked on the net for sudafed shortage and Johnson and Johnson (I think) was shut down from making sudafed for a while because some inspection showed improper cleaning of some machine. Plus they had to recall a bunch for being mis-labeled. I would sort of think with the tightened availability so the meth heads can't steal it the generic outfits would have been able to fill in just fine but its been a rough summer for allergies locally and apparently in a fairly broad regional area --still I wonder if this is part of early Obamacare or the Obaconomy. Dang if they can't keep it in stock they could raise the price and make more, but with the amount of red tape to even hire new staff, let alone expand a plant I guess no producer figured it was worth it. SIGH, I hate government red tape.


3 comments:

Gerrick said...

If the makers of "generic" brands are anything like the bottling places I have worked...

They are all made by the same companies that make the name-brand stuff, just with different labels and a slightly different concentration of drug.

As for a shortage, if one company had to cut back for a short time, the other companies wouldn't be able to tool up in time to profit from the shortfall. I don't think they would be staffed or have the excess capacity for this situation.

Teresa/ride4fun said...

I may be getting a bit paranoid, seems like every week there is a new attack on business or a new thumbing nose at American law or traditions.

Gerrick said...

Your not paranoid.

It seems every other week to me.