Thursday, September 16, 2010

Waaahh, Shade has a cough and runny nose

I noticed she had a runny nose yesterday, didn't think it was too serious, continued tacking up, thinking I might have to only walk, then just leading her out to the driveway gate she was coughing. So I called Ole back, pulled the saddle and took him for a run with the car. Got some soaked hay cubes for Shade and Grey Moun and some more ready for dad to soak. I am still hoping she might be having allergy response to some hay dust. Well having her be allergic is not great either but at least the whole herd wont be sick if it is not a virus. My initial thought was "oh good thing I was leaning against going to the ride in Westcliffe this weekend anyway" that has now morphed to "crud, maybe our riding season is finished" -if this doesn't clear up very quickly I cant ask Shade to go 50 miles on Oct 2, and trailering hundreds of miles to a multi-day in OK or UT later in october wont be a good idea --and I was already wondering whether I should focus on legging up horses that will go to Meeker on the hunting trip and messing with Sadie instead of trying to cram a multi-day ride into my fall schedule.

Today I emptied the goatheads out of 30qt plastic bin so I could dunk hay, more soaked hay cubes and I counted up how many doses of tucoprim antibiotics I have ~4.5. Less nasal discharge but I heard some coughing --never got a visual confirmation that it was Shade coughing. I don't want to give antibiotics too often but now that I know I have 4+ doses I will start tomorrow if I think Shade is still coughing. I will probably pull her out and walk her a bit to see if she starts coughing.

I have started putting some sugardine (sugar+betadine) on top of the wet cotton in the easyboot for Cindy's abscessed foot. Today after hosing her leg off I just put arnica liniment on it instead of furacin and dmso. I want to bury Cindy either on my property in WY or on the ND property my sister rents from mom and dad --I'll have to decide if I want it badly enough to put her down myself with a bullet instead of having Dr Mike euthanize her. Well if I went clear to ND perhaps I could euth sis's gelding and she could euth Cindy for me but that would mean making Cindy ride 10 hours in the trailer instead of 4.5 to WY. I have got to decide exactly what I want to do before it gets too late -frozen ground preventing getting a pit dug or whatever.

No comments: