Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I fear Shade might have strangles

So named because it swells lymph nodes and makes it hard for the horse to breath or swallow. Shade was eating her sweet feed and tucoprim this morning and coughed so much a bunch of it went on my trailer wall and the ground. I added a little water to what was left and put a bit of tucoprim in with her cough free powder to replace what was coughed away. IF it IS strangles I don't think the cough free will do much for her but I'm not going to drop it right now. Tomorrow I will soak up her feed ahead of time so the pellets in it will dissolve to mush. I made sure the hay cubes were really soaked up today before I fed them and have stopped having dad give any since I doubt they have time to soften up good when he is feeding at night. If the weather is going to stay cooler like today maybe I can start some soaking before I leave for work.

I think I will be either giving Shade a round of penicillin after the tucoprim or giving her 2 weeks of tucoprim instead of just one. I haven't called sis or thought seriously about Cindy since Shade got sick and I probably wont until Shade is better. Cindy is doing pretty well but the hock must still bother some as that is always the leg I see her resting. I am a bit tempted to let things go, if we would have a mild winter it would probably be fine. But If we have another 2006-2007 with snow that never melts it could be a train wreck and I really don't want to put Cindy through a train wreck.

No comments: