Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I must plan Cindy's goodbye

At least she is not in distress and I can plan it to happen in maybe 5-6 weeks. She has an abscess on her right front foot which I knew on thursday when my farrier found it; but she also has a torn tendon in the hock area on the right back leg (several tendons run through there) ; I suspected there was something wrong at that hock area I so didn't cancel the vet visit when the farrier found the abscess. Cindy also injured a tendon on that right back leg around the fetlock area this spring. It healed to 'pasture sound' and I only ever rode her about every month or two the last several years, but she is just having too many problems. I know that some combination of Sadie pushing to switch rank in the herd and Cindy not able to move well enough to suit boss gelding CJ probably led to the hock injury but even keeping her by herself I think she is not going to be able to handle icy ground/snow pack this winter.

So I will treat the abscess with tucoprim(tm) powder antibiotics and the hock tendon with dmso/furacin wraps and a course of bute but I want to schedule her to be picked up and buried on a given date and have Dr Mike come out and put her down while we hopefully are having decent fall weather and Cindy is feeling OK. I hate seeing a horse, any animal actually, in distress and would mentally beat myself up if I tried to keep Cindy going as long as possible and she ending up really hurting while waiting for emergency euthanasia. We usually have snow by Halloween, and sometimes we get an end of september storm but usually a september event melts off real quickly so I could just stall Cindy for a couple of days if we get one this year. I mentioned this to dad before I left for work and he is OK with it, hopefully mom does not try to guilt trip me on it but even if she does I am not yielding, I left my cat Bart a day too long because of that external pressure not to 'rush him into his grave' and I'm not putting myself through that shit again.

1 comment:

Deathknyte said...

That's too bad. I felt the same way about Tibbs the dog. He just got really old and couldn't take the pain of trying to do anything other than lay around. My sister finally decided that she could let him go and he was put down.