Wednesday, June 16, 2010

That was a weird coyote encounter.

Rode by a coyote today with Ole-the dog enjoying his 'walk' running around in the prairie dog colony on the other side of the coyote. Coyote barked at me, I shrug, thinking maybe has pups and is a bit extra territorial. Good sized though so maybe it was a male, especially since it then proceeded to tail us --mostly Ole I suppose, to the irrigation ditch. Ole has a dip while I watch to make sure the coyote doesn't decide it has advantage now and can attack. Ole chases coyote, coyote runs, Ole turns to head back to me, coyote follows him. Lather rinse repeat --over half a dozen times. Finally as I'm heading home and Ole is coming good I turn back and see the coyote watching someone else riding along with 2 dogs which I couldn't tell if they were good sized dogs or might be at risk so I turn around again to let the gal know about the coyote. Up closer the dogs were a golden lab and a cocker spaniel looking dog so they probably would have been fine. So I think Shade covered well over 4 miles doing our little 3 mile lollypop loop just to make sure she is ok before the saturday ride. I told dad if he wanted to hunt coyotes he should ride Razz that loop.

hmmm, I got to thinking while taking my save my sanity walk this afternoon that perhaps the coyote was just bored and was playing a game with Ole. It still makes me edgy, sure they are somewhat related to dogs, but they should have a healthy fear of humans IMO. Perhaps I'll have to ride Grey Moun that way with a 'noise maker' sometime.

No comments: