Monday, June 21, 2010

SHE DID IT!

Shade completed the Mountain Mettle ride saturday, AND looks fine to ride friday July 2 unless some sht happens crops up. My air mattress was comfy to sleep on. I was up about every 90 minutes friday night, mainly to pee, and a couple times checking on Shade after hearing something that woke me up, but was able to quickly doze off when I crawled back into bed. I think I will try to get a step stool before the ride in WY. Saturday after riding all day it felt like taking the big step up to my couch cushion to climb into the nose was barely doable. I did not get off and walk down many hills so that is something I expect I'll do different in WY. The Mountain Mettle hills were long and gradual, excuse excuse and I just stayed in the saddle. Shade does not show any signs of back soreness so hopefully the saddle tweak and attempts to improve my riding have helped much.

I am just SO proud of my bay girl. Shade wanted to ride with the buddy that was next to us overnight and I kind of wanted to try also as Lynn is an excellent horsewoman but they were going too fast for Shades conditioning and/or ability, Shade was huffing and puffing trying to keep up. I pulled back and we matched up with Joe Long and a junior he was sponsoring and those 3 horses worked well together. Shade mainly got to just fall in line but she led a few times. Towards the end of the 2nd loop we caught up to someone who was riding just a bit slower and I pulled back with her, I felt like Joe was pushing the pace a bit faster than was ideal for Shade and we had great plenty of time to complete. So Shade got to do the last loop with a stallion. Ramone. Totally did not live up to that name, I thought he was a gelding until his owner/rider said something. Very very very well-mannered boy and OMG talk about drool worthy. Shade was not overcome by hormones thank goodness. She had one stretch where she was hogging trail when she was in front. Perhaps she was sticking her tail at Ramone to flirt but it seemed more like she just wanted to stay in front and was blocking him from any possibility of passing. I corrected that at least 60%, I was not 100% in alert at that point so a few times I didn't react instantly. Later when the trail wound through brush Shade was very happy to let the big brave stallion clear the path in front LOL. She hates to be in front when she can't see a good long ways down the trail.

No comments: