Sunday, July 20, 2008

Praire Fire


Burned right up to the county road that borders our property. TOO close for comfort. I smell like smoke, 11 horses had halters on and the trailers are hooked up JIC, although the excellent fire departments had lots of people at the road and they got it contained. I have 7 horses that are normally in 3 pens in the smallest pen.

I hooked up a trailer after the wind had shifted a bit and was pushing the fire back to the east to where if it jumped the north bordering road we'd be right in the path and as I pull the trailer around the side of the house - YIKES the fire was rushing to the road that borders Shade and Sadies pen.

I RAN to open the gate so they could get into the next pen over then got them and the 4 horse in that pen into the little pen. Went back and got em haltered after the smoke died down. I ddn't have it in me to get up early to ride to beat the heat. It rained for all of 5 minutes and the accompanying lightning started this blaze so I was watching fire and moving horses around instead of getting to bed early like I had planned on doing because I figured the rain would not be enough to cool things but would make it too muggy to enjoy a moonlight ride. Oh well, at least I had a good ride last weekend and everyone is safe. The morning after pics don't look very scary but with the smoke billowing into our yard and Shade and Sadie's pen it was an adrenalin rush for a minute.

No comments: