Thursday, January 2, 2014

Ended 2013 with a Sadie ride

But it might be well into 2014 before I get my first ride of the year in.  It was overcast and damp yesterday with intermittent snow showers and 30s temperatures all day.   I made soup from the ham bones from the last two holiday spiral cut hams.   Decided to live on the edge and use the one that had been in the freezer a whole year as well as the current one since it was just dry navy beans and  a few taters and carrots that would be wasted if it was inedible.   Turned out pretty good, makes me feel better after this years actual ham was pretty meh.  I should have resisted my cheap genes and got the slightly more expensive brand at the grocery store but it will be OK fried up or if I make ham and bean soup again just with ham chunks without having the bones to boil up to make good rich broth. 

Weather wise I could ride today or tomorrow but will be driving up to ND tomorrow, two funerals to attend.  Would not absolutely have to attend either, but in both cases the family was very supportive at mom's memorial last April, and since they are close in time so just one round of driving we will do it.  But this makes a fair amount of stuff to get done before leaving so I don't think I'll try to ride unless I'm restless and ready quite early tomorrow and that would be a rare occurence.

2 comments:

Gerrick said...

We have been averaging about 15 degrees here. Seems warm as long as the wind isn't blowing.

Teresa/ride4fun said...

Yes when it was way colder and then warms up some the bar for "this feels OK" goes down.

But I really hate damp and cool, let alone cold and we were spoiled with temps in the 50s and even 60s a day or two at the end of the year. Except for Stock Show weather (and not all years at that) it usually doesn't stay cold long enough for me to toughen up much at all.