Saturday, January 18, 2014

Back was fine today and had a good ride on Sadie

I didn't let my mind wander too much.  She had a couple jumps but since I was centered and didn't catch air and start flopping around they didn't become spazz outs.  But she is definitely reinforcing my "arabian horses are the ones telling themselves ghost stories around the campfire until they are jumping at every rabbit rustling the brush"  theory.     Stock horse spooks are likely to be more like someone yakking on their cellphone and not seeing the spiderweb until they walk into it and then having the 'OMG SPIDER freakout"

I made chili with multi year old elk meat and dried pinto beans in my pressure cooker today.  I cooked them separately to make sure I had enough head room for the steam vent process.  The elk meat got nice and tender but cooking the pintos just a wee bit more the recommended amount of time left them firmer than I like so next time I'm adding a good chunk of time. 

The chile overall is spicy hot.  I should have removed the seeds from the jalopeno, or used less of the old dried red peppers.   But I don't mind having to tone down the heat with grated cheese and sour cream.  I think I'll use the cooker a fair amount; I don't like waiting for food to be cooked. 

No comments: