Tuesday, July 6, 2010

We survived the big weekend --Shade did it!

Shade went all 3 days of the endurance ride, and looked pretty good at the end. We rode with Bobby Wong and Tice (Bold Letice) on saturday and sunday. If we had not hooked up and rode together saturday with the horses working well together and Tici going for 5000 lifetime miles before retiring to be a for pleasure trail horse with Bobby''s sd I probably would have stayed in camp on sunday. It was drizzling when I woke up and I was tired after only 4-5 hours of sleep. I told the vet at the pre-ride check "It wont hurt my feelings one bit, if you have any hesitation about this horse going out today". Bobby could have paired with someone else after all. But Shade vetted fine so we set off, with me wearing a water resistant jacket and her wearing her water resistant rump rug both lined with polar fleece. The trail that was marked super well the previous 2 days was a bit tricky to follow in one spot; the visibility was only 1/10 mile and a key pin flag had been knocked down in an area where there was not a ranch trail and riders had picked multiple paths between flags the first two days so no new trail had been worn to follow. Bobby found the downed pin flag after we wandered around for a bit, I'm VERY THANKFUL I was with her at that spot, I was wanting to veer to the right of where the trail actually went. I expect I'll eventually write up a big post and put in a scanned picture from ride photographers but I better feed the horses and get to work now.

No comments: