Friday, November 13, 2009

TGIF

I dont really wish the camping/hunting trip was still going as my back and neck were whining at me every morning in the wee hours although once I was up and moving they felt fine. But its hard to get back into the routine. Maybe I need to make a few changes. Haven't had enough coffee to ponder that yet today though.

I should get down some trip high and low lights while I still remember them. My 'new', 2003 truck had a Found On Road Dead trip. The alternator was bad, we thought it was just a bad battery when we had to charge the battery saturday morning to start it to take off. Nope it was the alternator. Good thing we were caravaning with dad and he had the generator and a battery charger along. + Integrity Auto in Gypsum is a wonderful mechanic. I hope his son enjoyed the trick or treating we delayed a bit. Oh and my usual luck held, I had to guess if it was a dual or single alternator, guessed single cuz we could only see one and that was correct but the mechanic told me on the dual alternator Fords the 2nd unit is not visible from the top. The generator cord got broken but dad knew how to fix that.

The west slope had similar weather, they had not gotten as much snow but the horse track out of camp was muddy the first few days. It was just a dozer cut trail. Grey lost a hind easy boot on the first day. We only went out for a couple hours to stretch horse legs since it was late by the time we got trailers leveled, generator cord repaired (again LOL) etc. The ground was pretty uneven and especially by the horse corrals where dad and N wanted us to park. My trailer was a foot off the ball in my pickup. The next couple of days I left the hind boots off him since it was not rocky where we were doing most of our riding.

We didn't harvest any deer or elk ourselves but the group of campers got 6 elk and one pretty nice buck. There was a couple with 3 horses that did most of the packing but CJ got to pack out the buck and one elk. That day I did have all 4 easy boots on and it was probably good as we went around the back part of the wildlife area and rode through some rocky areas but as I was leading CJ back with the elk so dad and N could keep hunting the darned hind easy boots twisted. One gouged Grey's heel bulb so I had to stop and get it off. No place to tie right there and the boot was not coming off, I was trying to get the cable over a hook to get more slack since it was too tender for Grey for me to open it normally. Cable kept shredding so finally I deliberately cut it through to get the boot off. I'm going to have to take a pic to illustrate this (tomorrow) Meanwhile the hunter had gone on ahead while I took the horses to water and was wondering where in heck I was -- I had a radio that did not have all the channels so I could not reply until L tuned her radio to relay a message. But eventually we got the elk back to camp and Grey was walking fine once the irritating boot was off although he had the scrape on his foot.

No comments: