Sunday, June 21, 2009

Shades Mtn Mettle

Rode Shade in a 30 mile distance ride saturday. The ride name was Mountain Mettle. I have done a few conditioning rides in the area so I knew the name was accurate and since I haven't been conditioning seriously and this was the first ride of the season for us I fiugred the wise course was ride the 30 rather than have both Shade and I having to dig really deep to finish the 50. It was a beautiful ride. The RMs did a great job organizing things. There was one spot where we REALLY could have used some reaasurance ribbons and as I was picking up my t-shirt the RM was trying to decide how to deal with a report from a 50 miler that had gotten off trail and got straightened out by some mtn bicyclists. They didn't have any way to know if there might be other people who followed that persons tracks and was off trail too. So next year I predict they will double the amount of ribbons they use. wink.

Shade let me catch her just fine but did not want to load in the big trailer. I have taken out the rear tack so she has a roomy area but its still a lot less than the stock trailer. I had to get the long lead and run it through the tie ring and back so I could stand at her hip and keep her nose pointed the right direction. Its only her 3rd trip in it so I think she'll get better with more practice. I turned too sharp out of the driveway on to the gravel road and hit our mail box post with the trailer fender. So then I had to take the tire iron and get the fender off the wheel before I could get going and was properly paranoid of clipping anything when turning the rest of the drive.

I'm not sure if Sadie thinks she should start traveling already or what but she was running and bucking in the paddock while I was getting Shade loaded. Gave me a smile. I think I may have me a tough little mountain pony --the string test says she isn't likely to get over 14.1 hands.

No comments: