Wednesday, June 3, 2009

give me wisdom

I love Shade, rode down the graveled road today. She was a bit of a drama llama meeting a large skid steer booking down the road (well he stopped when he saw the melodramatics, nice guy) But she was good overall. I had a couple miles of lovely cantering, dogs got exercised on the 1.5 mile warm up and cool-down stretches around that, then I tied Mia to make sure she didn't go in any farmyards and Ole played in prairie dog town while I had my canter work. I swear that dog thinks the prairie dog towns are canine amusement parks.

So on to the need for wisdom. I have a 2 yr old BayRabAcres filly I just loff, but she is SHORT, probably not over 13.2 right now. The person who bought her 3 yr old 3/4 brother (same stud, dam is is grand-dam to Sadie) really wants to sell him. If he was only 1 state away I'd probably already have this gelding but he's on the western tip of Washington state. Transport would be pretty high, plus I really don't have time to keep two young horses worked. Sadie is 10 years younger than Shade because Shade being 9 years younger than Grey resulted in both standing around too much while Grey was still going fine and Shade could have been getting going more seriously. I would have had even more age between Sadie or Shade or waited and bought an older horse but I wanted the bloodlines and figured I better act. --that was the wise choice, Sadie is the last foal from this breeder. So the only way it makes sense for me to think about Sadie's brother is if Sadie is going to be a child's size horse. I should figure out the string tests to predict height I guess, and see if that suggests Sadie is just a slow arabian. I wanted a short horse, only about 14.2 or 14.3, and if Sadie develops into the brick chicken house build common to these bloodlines 14.1 will feel like plenty of horse. Well -see this is helpful, I am feeling less tempted to pursue the gelding for now.

And I had to come away from a board I used to be active on and now mainly lurk. I quit following some posters there and learned to skip threads that sounded like melodramatics, but I've been tempted to look at a thread that I'm sure is heavy on the melodrama. Be strong T, stay away from that web version of reality TV.

No comments: