Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Herding dogs, it is similar to cats......

Well it sounded funny late last night and I cant come up with a better title.

Yesterday I rode Grey Moun, I was going to take a short ride down the road heading east and give the dogs some exercise. Ornery Mia turned to go down Tate Ave where we cross it about 1/4 mile from home. She was not coming when I called her and she is dog aggressive sometimes so I asked Grey Moun to trot on the road and get in front of her so I could jump off and grab her leash. Well once we were north of her she turned around so Grey and I just kind of herded her back to the corner but she turned for home. So I followed her home and shut the gate on her and then I rode Grey just a bit in the paddock.

Today I forget to put the leash on Mia before opening the gate as I was heading out on Shade and she went zooming west. No problem for me to ride that direction but I went running after her because she veers into the near neighbors yard sometimes -including today. Luckily G was outside and told her to get out and I was also hollering at her so she came out w/o causing a ruckus with their dogs but I was not happy with myself for being so absent minded. Coming home I got Shade to trot and get in front of Mia and then hopped off and used one of Shades reins on a leash. Snap end split reins are handy at times!

Ole was busy chasing prairie dogs all this time, so I did some late morning feeding; he still hadn't showed up in 10 minues and I got to worrying he had followed someone to Tate and was pestering. He is 100% friendly but folks whose dogs get to barking at him when he comes around still don't like him visiting. So I jumped in the car to run down there. Don't see him, come back. Oh heck I left the gate open with Mia unattended in the meantime. Get her in the car and run down the road west and finally here comes Ole. Darn dogs. I don't want to get rid of Mia because she is pretty loyal and we have coyotes and things and I like having an outdoor dog who will be protective of the cat and the minis; but she is going to give me an ulcer with not being nice when she is outside her yard and me not being 100% on keeping her contained. And Ole is about as harmless as they come but he is SO much everybody's dog. I am seriously thinking I should just have some geese to alert me when I have my own place, maybe cats for company but NO dogs. They take so darned much time and attention.

No comments: