Thursday, March 30, 2023

Ah co-workers

We have a pretty good group, but still it feels like if I want somebody else to do something I have to take them by the hand and guide them through it the first 2 or 3 times.  Then there's the science team and their Software Engineer who are horrible about communicating when they make critical changes to tools that need a special flag to be implemented or don't want to share their new tools at all.   

I'm painting the whole groups and that aint fair.  The person who is supposed to be taking over routine processing from me and learning to do simple debugging for when I'm gone is useless until we walk through things and she writes her documentation.   No concept of using history and trying to work things out on her own first to more deeply learn things.   But she is a good team player and does some of the PITA special archiving with the funding agency and so on.     One scientist is great to work with.  Another young scientist is very helpful but I don't speak his coding language very well and that makes things harder.  

The biggest issue is we should have 1.5 more software engineers but they've had two on trial that my boss decided were not worth the management headaches.  What I heard was one needed a lot of in person meetings and it just didn't work when the germaphobe management was severely limiting working in office for two freaking years.   The other I guess did not want to do the grunt work for ops monitoring and similar and felt like we were just old and dumb because of old legacy setups.  We DO have a lot of old legacy stuff that should be modernized but we have to keep that working in the meantime and understanding what it does to know all the functionality that has to be created with newer languages is needed IMO.   Plus another assoc. scientist.    

I guess they are interviewing for at least one of the positions.  Hopefully they get two hires who can quickly get spun up and be a help.   The orbit scientist hire a couple years ago did work out very well.  I hope they are keeping him happy, we'd have a huge staff shortage if he left.  Our lead IT person is moving to France.  Scary,  but he is going to keep working for us remotely at least for now.  The other IT person seems quite good AFAICT being pretty helpless with IT myself, but I think he'd be over his head trying to do the work of two people while finding a new IT person if the lead guy quits.    I hope I am under-estimating our management,  I don't trust them to not be pinching the budget and creating burnout with the core folks who get things done by not bringing in more staff; of course it is always extra work to do the hiring process and train folks, but they need to commit to that; they keep taking on new missions to be processed. 

No comments: