Monday, February 24, 2014

Only rode 4.5 miles this morning

And yesterday I was a lazy slug and pretty much just curled up with my kindle all day.  It was cold and grey until after 2 and then the sun came out but it didn't get very warm and I didn't wrench myself out of my lazy day mode.   Oh well its OK to have days like that once in while.

It was calm and sunny this morning and felt wonderful.  L came out and we had a pretty good ride, both mares would rather have just grazed and dozed in the ditch than go for a ride but they sucked it up and did their jobs.

I started a fantasy novel in the afternoon and had the hardest time tearing myself away to make some supper and feed the horses and then later to get to bed.  That is not unusual for me, in fact it was the norm when I was younger, but when I was trying to analyze why I was so engrossed in this book I was like --- Hmmm,  other than the fantasy element of characters shifting into big cats or dragons the plot is pretty darned close to soap opera boilerplate, that shouldn't be at all hard to wait a while to find out exactly what happens.  I guess a good author can make even fairly standard, almost well worn plot device/character set-ups engrossing to me. 

  I'd love to have the talent and self-discipline to be able to write novels and especially to be able to write an entertaining tale that also made a point or two about how "conservative"  or "republican" in the sense I think of a good republic with decent laws that have supremacy over charismatic politicians/leaders that charm folks right into enslaving themselves or their children and grandchildren are great systems that allow basic decent folks to prosper.  

No comments: