Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The queen bays

Sunday I rode Shade while it was still hot. The irrigation ditch has water so I didn't have to worry Ole would get heat exhaustion and I dug out my camelback. Darn mare had pulled a shoe off on the horse mesh fence between their paddock and AJs. I put on an easyboot to even things out. L will replace the shoe on friday. Afterwards I let the horses out on the scrubby 'pasture' area to enjoy the spring grass. When it came time to come in they were not interested in leaving the grass just for a bit of grain --Sadie followed me up to the gate, munching on the way, then spun around and went back to the grass. So I had to walk up and get halters and catch Shade and Sadie. Grey Moun and Razz will almost always follow Shade and Lady is crazy attached to Sadie.

Tuesday Dr Mike was out to do all the vaccinations. Grey Moun and Shade were the best behaved, but Sadie was quite good. I was feeding her treats and she was a big wiggly looking for the next treat, but was not at all worried about Dr Mike and the needles, and we even drew blood to run coggins test so I can take her to out of state rides this summer/fall if I get her legged up and ready. I could not find our twitch and Lady was being crazy AAAK NEEDLES, we put her in my gooseneck trailer as a substitute for having a vets stock to restrain her. That worked pretty slick, Dr Mike says in future we'll probably want to give her some sedative by muscle in there then finish sedating by IV and do everything she needs in one go around. I suppose I could see if feeding her ACE orally would be enough.

3 comments:

Gerrick said...

Can't say I blame Lady, I go AAAAAK at needles too.

Teresa/ride4fun said...

Dr Mike said she acts like she has "Dull needle syndrome" so maybe a former owner was too cheap to buy needles and just kept re-using one until it was dull and was painful. But she is also a wimpy baby. She also acts like she has been quicked or something every time when my farrier trims her front feet -- I don't know her full history but I have never even had her shod and she has never been trimmed too short and made sore in my care.

Gerrick said...

Maybe she is over reacting then. I do know I growl at the Red Cross blood women when they stick me with the needle. I think I am justified doing it too, those needles burn with cold fire.