Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Why its good to have spare tank heaters


We've been having a cold snap, one worthy of mid-january rather than just december acually. I had put a sinker tank heater in Shade and Sadies tank, thinking that was safer from yearling curiousity than a floater. Except it wasn't up to snuff for temps more than a little below freezing. Monday night I got home to an iced over tank again and no plugs for christmas decorations because dad thought the timer was just shutting off current X hours after sunset. No dad, acutally I am not an idiot and I read the damn thing and made sure it had a continuous setting before I set it up that way.

So after grumping a bit I broke ice again, and put the floating heater in there. Now my girls have open, warmed water to drink 24 hours a day, but there is still a rim of ice around the tank edges. That will stay until its warm enough it melts and falls into the water or wam enough I think the hose will run and I top the tank off. I give the hose a quick drain after each use now that winter is here, but its got flat spots so I don't trust it to work until its above freezing anyway. I've been adding a little water with buckets to the tank so my girls don't have to stretch against that ice to reach the water. Hopefully it is warm enough tomorrow that the tank can be topped off.

No comments: