Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Ho Ho Humbug.

Wow, I'm a bitter old coot. I skipped the 'secret santa' this year on my BB. My giftee from 2 years ago I don't think has done it the last 2 years. She was expecting and moving so I understand her being a bit forgetful but after I prodded out of her that a package had arrived she didn't remember who it was from. I was too proud and didn't name myself. I had spent hours making up a calendar with pics of her horse on it. --it turned out clunky unfortunately , also had bought her and her dogs little fun items, and then after sending package off early found many folks were totally ignoring the $ limit so I sent her a book that another BB member had written (she ended up getting 2 copies due to a mix up at the post office)

Then last year I wasn't going to join in but someone had thought they'd signed up and hadn't so 2 of us did a late signup and the 3 of us were matched up. I was just sure that this person was so polite that they would write a thank you on the BB even if the gift was flat, but of course I still stressed, and spent hours searching for a necklace I thought she'd like, opting for a pendant that was a turquoise and silver cross --and knowing she is quite catholic I thought that would be great even thought it came w/o a chain. So did I get a thank -you? Ummmmm No, what I got was a mention of eating an entire large size candy bar (I'd sent 2-3 yummy dark chocolate fair trade bars from my annual stash I buy for myself) --to me it was phrased like it was not nice for 'Santa' to have sent bars that were more than single serving in each wrapper, no mention even that the chocolate bar was from santa, but I recognized the decription, so then I stewed and worried that she didn't like any of the gift items or was insulted at getting a pendant with a temporary chain I'd had to scrounge up, and/or disliked the other little filler stuff I sent since she never even posted that she got a package. Except I did ping her as guest/santaElf and then outed myself.

So this year in spite of "I'm not playing" I've gotten bored and read the santa sub-board a few times. THIS YEAR Ms polite, WAS prompt and gracious in gushing over her package. WTF? It really is too bad I had such a mindset of wanting to be a good santa. I got great loot the 2 years I played, and since I gushed over it, I probably would have gotten good loot again but its too crushing to me wussy little ego when my santa efforts elicit a response worthy of a drugstore fruitcake.

No comments: