Monday, December 22, 2008

Good weekend, and short work week

So I better be smiling. Well I mostly am. I put up some christmas stuff this weekend, saturday I put the most illogical pattern of lights possible in the big outdoor tree. For my future reference. 1. Test all lights before stringing --preferably in warm house. 2. Come on you KNOW you need the male plug end at the staring point. 3. trying to wrap things up when you are cold and tired and trying to get by without dragging out more lights when you have plenty is not the best strategy.

Sunday dad and I put a bunch of boxes up in the attic. Hunting stuff he packed up with prodding from mom, who usually would do some of that packing but she is so sickly. I really am not even hearing her watching insipid re-runs or endless sports downstairs much lately; plus the christmas stuff I'm not going to put up.

I wanted to put up the reindeer, just in the ditch since it was cold and putting them on a shed roof is a longer job that needs 2 people and dad was not volunteering to help --but he did help me get the wooden base for them out.

--Again on #1. Rudolphs nose is out, and some of his leg lights, one reindeer's head is not lighted. You can see the head from the other lights so its just a stealth effect, not going to give neighbor kids nightmares. so, it is most likely not going to get tested to try to find the bad bulbs until I take it down and bring it inside the nice warm house. The tester is probably in one of the boxes that we put back up in the attic. Sigh, this is the problem with not being in practice for decorating --and I'm hoping dad is more gung-ho to resume the decorating next year when he is retired, rather than me getting more practice.

Saturday the sun was shining and the thermometer under the porch eaves read pretty high so I grabbed Shade for a quick ride. It was not so warm out in the open, I turned around after less than 1/2 a mile. I assembled one of my shelving units. I like it, but I'd best not start the other one after 10:30 pm, hopefully that will help me pay enough attention to get all the finished ends lined up together. I am not planning to take the first one apart. For the porch I may not even run shoe polish over the raw ends to make them blend in better. I wanted something absorbent on the top shelf for wet shoes. Had a cotton quilted dressage pad that I cut rectangles off to make Grey Moun a bigger spinal channel for the LJ since he has high withers. The pad was white, I bought 'expresso' shelving. So I made some strong coffee with some old stale coffee to 'dye' the pad with. Its not expresso colored, hopefully I don't decide the coffee looks worse with the almost black shelving than the grubby white of the well used pad. --NO pictures yet, maybe I'll take some on the 24th.

It is supposed to be a few degrees above freezing on christmas and no wind so hopefully I'll get in a Christmas ride, maybe 2 short ones.

No comments: