Friday, May 3, 2013

Well Shade got her knee, fetlock and pastern injected, no surgery

Shade is home. They didn't find any bone chips on x-ray at CSU. She got a full work-up with nerve blocks and flexion tests, a couple more x-rays of the knee + x-rays of her fetlock, pastern and hoof and then joint injections of knee, fetlock and pastern. A week off and back to work.

 She is laying in the sun this morning. Seems bright and alert. I decided not to give her bute until tonight so she might be a bit sore from all the needles; the bute shot she got last night from the vet has probably worn mostly off. I of course am worrying but trying to be reasonable and not borrow trouble unless it actually arrives. I was so tired last night I barely checked on the horses last thing at night.

After getting home from CSU around 7 pm;  I had to shuffle horses around to put Shade in a small run attached to a stall for her stall rest,  wanting her to rest meant also moving Grey to an adjacent run so Shade would not just fret, and then meant moving CJ to Grey and Shade's old pen so I could put the mini's in CJ's pen across the wide alley from the runs so they wouldn't keep agitating Shade and Grey Moun with their squealing excitement and sticking their little noses through the gates at having new horses etc.  I went to the house and pretty much collapsed at that point.

 I'm going to have to make more riding time since Shade is not getting a few months lay off after surgery. I will probably go back to seeing if I can do one 50 this year and one next year for the decade horse thing and mainly focus on Sadie. At six, it is time for her to step up and become the main riding horse anyway.

Saturday update

Today Shade was very impatient to be moved to the bigger pen so she could run around some and visit with RazzMo and the mares over the fence. I'm very happy I was just doing the senseless worry thing. Now if blogspot will leave my paragraph breaks in place. It gets all discombobulated when I copy and paste things in.

No comments: