Saturday, March 30, 2013

We need a fountain of youth out here

Or a healing spring.    Shade's fetlock has been bothering,  yesterday I noticed Ole was walking stiff when I rode Sadie, but he looked fine when we broke into a trot, then dad took the dogs for their usual run,  then when I went out at midnight to feed the horses a final snack Ole ran off to chase coyotes or something.  I heard him barking in the next or 2nd next pasture north of us for a while and wondered if he had a snake on the defensive, then I heard coyotes singing and Ole's barking moving around.

 He has gone off chasing coyotes for 2-5 hours before and it was over 40 degrees so I knew he would not get cold and come back so I just went to bed but he was not around this morning.  I was getting worried a big pack of coyotes lured him out and ganged up on him but dad went driving looking for him and he was in the neighborhood.  He was so sore on his right rear leg he had just laid down in someone's yard rather than come the mile or so home.  

He has a couple of little puncture wounds on that leg,  they don't even look deep enough to call punctures but he was "DONT touch me there" when I poked after he licked the scabs open and he was panting so I had dad take him to the vets to get checked out.   The panting is probably just from the ouchy leg, but I didn't want to have the leg swell up tonight after hours and end up with an emergency vet visit JIC he got bit by a rattlesnake.

2 comments:

Gerrick said...

Fuzzbutt dumped the open link that was keeping him locked to his chain so he has been running free for the last week and a half, I think he has chased off the coyotes we had around here.

Hope Ole gets better and wasn't bit by a snake.

Teresa/ride4fun said...

Thanks.