Monday, April 1, 2013

Ole feels better.

The vet thought he might have run across a rabid skunk or caught up to a pack of coyotes and ended up having to run for his life as she found more bites on both back legs.   I had to coax him to get up and come outside Sunday morning.  He was not volunteering when I was heading back out mid morning to grain after doing the hay earlier. 

But I gave him a chicken drumstick after we came back in and he perked up and decided he should come out every time I did so I rode Sadie and AJ in the paddock and small arena.   Today he bounded up the stairs when I went up for a few minutes after feeding and is otherwise moving great;  he is being a bit clingy and doesn't have his normal appetite yet but he is definitely on the mend so far. 

 AJ was good when I rode him.  I'm trying to find a lease rider for him but no nibbles yet.   Seems like I've had more interest with past CL ads and I expected there would be more riders that cant afford to board or buy hay to own for themselves but perhaps the Oconomy is so bad they can't even afford gas and a few dollars per ride now.   ..... so I am beyond frustrated at idiots reposting shit from "being liberal".  Especially people that are not full spectrum liberal/insane but they are buying into this or that BS point and re-posting it.   

I rode Shade just briefly this morning.   I think her fetlock is better but it is still not working 100% right.   OR she has something else going on and I'm missing it, but I think its the fetlock.   I'm trying not to get all agitated about it.  I'm having Dr Mike come out to vaccinate the horses for rabies next week since the vet told us Brighton had 2 skunks killed and tested positive for rabies Saturday and then that night the local news mentioned a rabid fox in Loveland.     I have vaccinated at least the traveling horses for rabies before but last time was Sep 2011 so they need to be redone to have protection and I will do even the mini's now. 

I do not want to end up going through the after-exposure series of shots.  I'd rather pay to vaccinate all the critters than take even a small risk of going through that;  as well as wanting to protect the horses I have sentimental attachment to from possibly getting a miserable disease. 

2 comments:

Gerrick said...

It is good that he is feeling better. Fuzzbutt seems to also have made the wild rabbits more circumspect as well. I have not seen any scrambling for cover for some time now when I come home from work.

Teresa/ride4fun said...

Good dog Fuzzbtt. Mia will run a lot of things off but I think she turns a blind eye to the rabbits.

Or maybe they know she is not quick enough to get them and Ole can't be outside all the time because he wanders off looking for another playful dog or to chase coyotes all over the extended neighborhood at night.