Monday, March 4, 2013

Decided that Grey is who I want to try for C to ride

I had been crossing him off the list of potential mounts because he does do an ayrab teleport.  But now knowing that C just wants to do some walking trail rides, Grey should be fine.   When just walking I don't think Grey has ever done more than just do a quick crouch but then decide he didn't need to leap.   Plus Grey is a sweet old guy who has always been dismayed if a rider comes off.   He had been acting like an anxious colt when I took him out by himself a couple times this winter; but I ponied him off of Shade on Saturday, then rode him Sunday and ponied Shade after tweaking some on the cheapo no brandname treeless saddle I bought as a spare a few years ago to improve the fit. 

 Grey was quite good going out with his buddy so I do think he'll be fine for C.    I set the Bareback brand treeless on him and it looks like it will fit even better and it has more cantle and pommel to help the rider so I think that will all work fine and I'll just not worry about whether it will fit on Sadie as well after Grey wears it.  I don't think there will be much affect with the limited hours he'll be wearing it. 

Two weekends ago I rode CJ myself when L came out to ride Lady and he was bratty even just walking with Lady for company (doing 180's,  and a few crowhops)    He was actually easier to sit than the 180's Razz did, but I'm not putting someone who came off Razz on him if he is going to act like that and I have always felt that CJ had a personality that would take advantage of a rider, he is a good pack horse because he wants to stay with the group away from home and doesn't get flustered by anything flopping but at home he demonstrated to me again that he'll pull a "heck with this, I'm just going to head back to my pen and my other buddys"  if the rider doesn't keep on top of him.  

We got a shot of snow today,  it was coming down pretty thick for an hour or two but now the sun is out in Boulder and already melting it off.     Still with the previous snow only melting off on Sunday and even a little shot today I think my farrier will have fairly nice feet to work on instead of the having tough dried out hooves. 

We still don't have new dryer or dishwasher.   They said the trucks got held up by the snowstorm in the midwest last week.   Our dryer is 100% kaput now.   I washed just a few jeans and was going to tumble them for 20 minutes to reduce wrinkles and remove lint and it would not start at all.   Dad took off the belt that turns the drum and determined the motor won't work at all now.    So good thing we already ordered the replacement.  

No comments: