Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Plugging along

I filled out an internet form and got a permit to burn brush last week and we had calm winds and forecast to stay that way all day on Saturday so we burned the new brush pile built with the small branches when our neighbor hooked us up with someone who cut down our dead trees for firewood.

The big pile that has been building up over time is too close to the fence and other trees to burn where it sits so I've been pecking away at it.  Its like a giant 3-d puzzle to get branches loose to haul over to the burn spot 40 feet away.   I think I'll ask dad to see if we can get someone to take the larger branches from this pile for firewood so we won't have a hot fire into the night, plus I just hate wasting anything.   We will have to see if there are enough large diameter pieces to be worth someone coming to fetch them I guess.  Possibly if its not a large amount we could haul up to ND when we go in April,  sis and her SO use the woodstove quite a bit in the wintertime and dad is talking about taking his p/u anyway.

Sunday L came out and we went about 4.3 miles on Lady and Sadie.    Sadie's new thing is I paused a couple times to chat with someone and wait on the dog and when I turned her around she burst into a canter.   I don't think she was upset that Lady had gotten a bit ahead so much as she is young and full of energy so she is seizing any excuse.   No bucking and I wouldn't call it bolting since I can slow her down right away so I'm just enjoying it.   Sounds a bit odd but I do enjoy it --its an ego boost that I am not fearful that I'll come off,  and I'm starting to have a bit of faith that Sadie is not going to go full bronco or bolt and part of the reason I have my horses is to get that second hand feeling of agility and speed.

I bought a second Skito pad yesterday.   I was so excited that the owner had them on Ebay,  I had been browsing Ebay to see if I could just get a second hand one more for the easy instant purchase instead of having to call during normal business hours than my cheapskate nature.   So both mares will be able to have comfortable pads w/o me having to rotate pads between saddles.  I like to use the girth keeper straps on at least one side when I ride to make sure the pad stays in place so it can be a bit of a PITA to switch pads between saddles.   

Today I am going to order a pommel insert for the CL treeless saddle I bought a few years ago.  I'm trying to get it setup to be a good saddle for Grey Moun so I can hop on him a little more often or possibly throw someone else on him if there is a group that wants to ride. 

No comments: