Friday, January 18, 2013

Horse poor

I don't know whether I double counted a stack or figured the 6 horses I usually feed in two groups of 3 as only 1 group of 3 but I  noticed early this week that the hay supply seemed to be shrinking fast and sure enough when I counted how many bales we had and figured how much we were feeding I found I only had about 4 months worth when I had thought we had hay to get to August back in the fall.    Twelve dollar per bale hay really takes a bite out of the savings account when you find you need to buy around 150 bales.  

I have got to get busy with CL ads or something to at least find some of those 4 legged dependents some part/time lease situations.   Hopefully there won't be another bad drought year right away where $12 becomes the new normal for hay prices but I suspect we won't get below $7 in the future and $9-$10 will become the average with $12+ in leaner hay years.   Horses really are an expensive 'hobby' just to own them.  

No comments: