Monday, March 30, 2009

Springtime in colorado ....

Often means snow showers sprinkled amongst the warm days. But I don't mind when the warm days fall on the weekends.

Saturday we still had quite a bit of snow on the ground at the start of the day but it was melting. I rode Grey Moun and let the pesky dogs come along. I cut the ride a bit short because it was pretty sloppy and we were not to the carcass pile where the dogs like to roll and eat nasty bits. Why do I ever go this way you ask? Well its the way Mia insists on going and I do want to give her some exercise so she doesn't get early arthritis. She had a broken leg or pelvis or something before she was re-homed to us.

After a break I was going to ride CJ or RazzMo, but Sadie was wanting attention so I grabbed her. We played a bit with trailer loading. I'm still indulging her, letting her put just front feet in and grab a bit of oats and then back out. Then I put a length of half inch rope in her mouth to see if it relaxed her for working on her feet. Jury is still out on that. Seemed to do some good for a couple of minutes but she was getting pizzed about it I think and was really dancing around when I tried to pick up the last hind leg. I tied her up shorter, and then short and she got the rope out and was like 'finally' about the same time and gave me the foot without more argument.

The longer days are NICE after winter. I caught CJ and brushed him up and then asked dad to take a couple of pictures of him. I'm putting an ad on craigslist for an almost free lease for some of mom and dads horses that never get messed with unless I do it; with 4 horses of my own that could benefit from more of my time then they get something had to change. Hopefully it will work out for at least one horse to get weekly or 3x/month riding.

Sunday I rode Shade, we only went about 6.5 miles, the ditch road was pretty slushy past the highway, so I turned around, went a out and back the other way. We did have some good footing for some decent canter and trot stretches. I still do not have the fire in my belly to really ride like I should to prep for the ride season. I've decided to skip end of April ride, but I need to get after it if I want to ride the pioneer event at the 4th of july ride in Wyoming that I like. I've only done 1 or 2 of the 50s and a LD every time I've gone there. I 'think' I want to reach for that pioneer, but it wont just happen. But I have so much fun just riding, the endurance is really just the excuse to go out when the weather is not great or I probably should be doing something else.

We were back pretty early, I felt sleepy though and piddled, finally took a sinus tablet and did a few bridge exercises. I'm having some low back pain which I think is mostly from neglecting the P/T exercises I used to to. I cleaned out my pickup cab somewhat, wiped the dirt of the dash and tried to scrub up my steering wheel. I'm going to have to wrap it, I scrubbed and rinsed a lot and it still felt a bit sticky. The fleece cover is too bulky and makes my hands ache so I need to try vet wrap or something. I played around with my cap for my tank. I probably should just get a tank with a threaded cover that can't splash but I think if I add a rubber washer under my cap it will be tight enough that it can't splash. I might not have to with the new cap when I leave it in the correct spot, but it can still tip around some. LOL, talk about a diary entry rather than something that could be understood by blog reader. Today it was snowing when I woke up but was getting sunny by 11 am..

No comments: