Thursday, October 30, 2008

its a woman's prerogative to change her mind

 I've been spelling that wrong for 20-some years.  But spell-checker and google search say  it starts with pre, so ok.

I rode some this weekend.   Took Sadie out on saturday.  Grey is such a saint doing this.  Sadie was just full of herself.  Was not terribly bad, just a LOT of jumping into a canter, cutting in front of Grey after doing so etc.   She jumped hard when Ole startled her near some trees and pulled the rope out of my hand,  I was a bit scared she was going to run through downed barbwire fences dashing for home but she ran a bit and then turned to see why we were not running with her.   She was too full of herself to let me approach on Grey Moun, but waited when I got off and walked up to her.   

But after that I got more rigorous, short hold of her lead and insisted she go the gait I called for etc.    as we headed home.   Then I rode Razz in the fading light.   Did very little packing for Moab and felt tired in the evening.

Sunday,  I rode Shade,  she did not feel right the first 40% of the ride and again I felt exhausted, so I was having doubts about the wisdom of asking her for 1 or 2 50 mile rides on the 31 and Nov 1.    

Monday  was day 1 of a workshop:   GPS on ocean platforms.   great energy, it was hard to stay connected to the network to get cpu's set-up for more work after they finished runs.  I do hate to take vacation and have cpu's sitting idle because I didn't set up big runs for them to churn on while I was gone.  And I was tired and had to take a sudafed at lunch to ward off a head-ache. 

SO-- I decided Moab is scratched.  Canceled my appt for health cert. from clinic in Golden etc.
Tuesday,  the usual stress of trying to get a diverse group of scientists to agree on just 1 or 2 goals came up --it can be like herding cats.    When I went to my office for a couple hours after the workshop was finished I had a message from my normal clinic that he would write me a health cert.      I have also decided that inflation is a concern and I need to make my land improvements and long term purchases now.    

So wednesday   I called the power company to meet on Nov 3 to set up getting power.   They'll only have to put in a few poles so it should not be too costly,  then I called my vet's office and said "lets write the health certs for WY.    Rode Shade and was darned glad I had scratched Moab thoughts.  She was sore on her right rear,  short striding at the walk.    --Good thing for RazzMo I already decided *I* did not want to go to Moab,   he had come over and got in a kicking snit with Shade when I put her away sunday.   He leaves tomorrow or early saturday to pack dad around the mountains for a week, so he'll be working hard  and I'm glad of it.   I slathered Shades whole leg with sore-no-more liniment.  

Today Shade was walking much better.  Whew.  I did not want to give her bute,  she got an upset stomach from getting it for 1 week several years ago and I'm very hesitant to give it to her at all ever since.   If she needs it I'll give her some acid reducer as well but I could not find any this morning.     Yesterday I loaded most of the tack dad will need for his trip in the nose of the gooseneck.  Today I hooked up his camper that he tows in a bob-tail hitch for horse camping trips -- he is a professional truck driver.    I also got down some of the hunting stuff from the attic.

Normally I give minimal help packing for the hunting trip, but dads company has him been running him around instead of getting him home by sunday to start his 2 weeks of vacation.  He wont get home till this afternoon, and he has set up stuff on my new trailer; and mom is still dragging.   They have her infection licked but now her body is attacking the dental implants.  She had hoped to save them, but they will most likely have to take at least some out and she's been getting knocked with jaw pain again.   Such an endless cycle of sickness.    

No comments: