Sunday, February 26, 2023

Two weekends in a row I've enjoyed my coffee so much and wanted more.

But I don't want to end up with caffeine jitters and the french press process takes some effort, so I haven't made a second mug.   I was half remembering trips with dad and sis this morning as I sipped my coffee and dad and I munched bacon that I fried up after the farrier had finished trimming and left.  We three had some good times together.   Never perfect bliss, as I would be frustrated hunting that we were not getting out early to increase chances of getting an elk and on trail riding trips I'd be thinking I had to get moving soon to saddle horses so we would get to the next campground before dark, but we managed to mostly enjoy things. 

I'm a bit nervous that dad's kidneys are shutting down.   But possibly his bladder control is improving and he is not leaking nearly 100% of his urine into the depends and overflowing onto the chucks pads so I don't want to panic just yet and tell sis she needs to come down ASAP to make sure she gets a last visit. 

p.s.  I asked dad yesterday if he wanted to go to a clinic, you seem sick.  "no I feel fine."  I didn't have the gumption to try to have a conversation of "are you peeing in the toilet now, or just generating less pee" so I dropped it.   I don't want to not take him to a doc if he has an electrolyte imbalance or something and they could fix him up with a couple hours of IV drip.   But I don't want him stuck in a hospital if he is just fading away and they could only prolong things.   Plus he is still bigger than me, if he doesn't want to go see a doc or have a clinic run some blood tests, it is not happening unless I call 911 behind his back and the paramedics just take him against his desires.   I really don't want to go there. 

Last night his hearing aid wasn't working for him, so I put in a new battery, nada,  put in a new filter after we finished eating country pork ribs.  (Side note to self, the country ribs are NOT mostly bone so don't have to be super cheap to be a good value; and they were fall off the bone tender with pressure cooking and very tasty with brushing bbq sauce on and broiling for a few minutes after the pressure cooking.)  I was playing with the transmitter, sometimes the battery contact works squeezing it and it came on so I called Sis so dad could talk to her for a bit.  She got to experience some of my frustration of dad not hearing clearly and making wild guesses to fill in blanks.   Dad is getting dementia so now some of his guesses are really wild. 

Tuesday p.s.   The urine output seems to be getting more normal.  Hopefully he was just a bit dehydrated.  I have been pushing tea on him like a jewish grandmother would push chicken soup.   He doesn't want water, I get the same way when it is colder and ice water doesn't appeal as much.   Our well is pretty decent but the water doesn't taste great if it is not cold.  

No comments: