Tuesday, May 6, 2014

4.4 miles on Sadie this morning.

We did quite a bit of cantering.   I should probably work more on trotting but then again, she is a shortie and it may be better for her to do more cantering.    Chance of rain tomorrow.  Sure would be nice if we get a good rain and it softens the horses' feet up.  We probably wont get enough soon enough to help so I probably need to soak Sadies' feet Thursday morning before Duncan comes.  They are dry and hard as adobe.  I think I'm going to give shoes a whirl again, but maybe only fronts this go around.   I must remember she had shoes 1.5 years ago to go hunting.  She was ok for getting them on but then was like "Nooooooo"  when Duncan tried to use the clinch cutter to loosen the nails.  I had to rasp the nails down and take the shoes off myself over multiple days (cuz I'm too weak and don't have a knack to make it easy so couldn't get it done in one go with my weakly back, not cuz she was melting down any more but it was a pita)

I'm still lusting after the 12 year old endurance gelding, that I believe is still for sale, but trying to quash the desire.  But then I'm thinking "why?"  The country is going to collide with reality and math someday,  I think in the medium term future (5-10 years)     Since I don't think the country will be stable enough to rely on any traditional savings there is zero reason not to indulge myself in the here and now.   If I'm willing to take a loss (call it a leasing fee) and he stays sound I can probably sell him this fall or next spring.    I should cowboy up and at least sound out the owner,  I've been hesitant, thinking she may consider me a less then great owner, but he has been on the market since Feb and she got injured so she can't ride him in early rides to show him off......

No comments: