Thursday, December 26, 2013

Yay, I'm getting a thank-you card for Christmas

I guess bro is going through the phase I had a few years ago where I just wanted to skip the whole Christmas shopping hassle.   I'm reminding myself that I had the same phase and I still don't like to shop,  I've been taking advantage of his tight budget as an excuse to just send checks and I have not even been writing "enjoy a day in San Francisco" or some similar gift yourself suggestion on the cards.   Hopefully he or his DW gets sentimental in a bit and I will at least get a newsy letter and card and maybe he'll send me a book or cd for old times sake,  I kind of miss getting rock CDs.

Monday on FB the family that I gave a couple trailer rides to trails was in the town where I work and dropped off a cookie plate to their horses former owner.   We had just gotten a cookie package from the folks that rent the inherited farm property up in ND so not getting more sweets was in some ways a good thing and the family had posted that the old arab gelding at their boarding facility that they have sort of adopted was in great weight after getting scarily skinny in Sept when we had the big rains and his pen had been a mud pit. 

Still I was kind of bummed she didn't message me; I would have told her I had more of the high fat horse supplement in my car and they should swing by so they'd have it just in case the old guy started loosing weight again and I would have taken a cookie plate,  we had lots of sweets but we didn't have lemon bars or streupwaffles (sp?)  My great aunts had gotten a cookie iron in their later years and used to make some cookies that I think were very similar to the Streupwaffles although my aunts rolled theirs up and didn't put any cinnamin sugar filling in them, cinn and sugar with butter was only for lefse.  I cannot recall what my aunts cookies were called, my spotty memory is so annoying. 

   Oh well,  I didn't step in and take them trail riding last summer because I was angling for cookies, I know how to cook and I can bake my own sweets any time I really crave them; I just prefer to spend my time riding for now and if its too cold and snowy to want to be outside I prefer curling up with a cup of tea and a good book to starting a baking project; I know from experience that I'll have had my fill of a baking project before its finished let alone before cleaning up unless I only make no-bake drop cookies or something like that with limited steps and dishes involved.   I enjoyed this families company for its own sake and hopefully we will ride together a time or two next year too. 

No comments: