Sunday, December 8, 2013

Well I read some good books this week

Read a lot of novelettes.   A fictional biography of Leonardo da Vinci's early years by Cahterine Jaime,  kind of interesting, I might buy the complete biography if its cheap but it was not entertaining enough that I'd pay a whole lot. 

Raiders by Ross Kemp.   I'll probably buy this,  the sample description of the British raid on Italian warships at Taranto was very cool.  I really like when an author can recount factual incidents like this in a way that is as gripping as a good novel.  

Deadly Aim, Patricia Rushford.    Angel Delaney mysteries book #1.   I'll probably buy the next book.  I don't feel like I'm 100% hooked on the series if there are a lot of books but it was a pretty fun read with a bit of Christianity rather than gaia worship or leftyism as a backdrop to the main story so instead of putting up with the backdrop I liked it.  Also liked that it was just a backdrop and not pushing it. 

Could not get into The Norman Ten Hundred bu Stanley Blicq.    It may be just that world war 1 is so depressing in the numbers of casualties.  

Read Attacked (Last plane out of Paris, part one) by Paul Maxham.     I am not sucked in and wanting to buy the full novel although a daring espionage/French Resistance tale from WW2 should have been very engrossing.

I read a fair amount of sci-fi/fantasy and found "Call of the Herald" by Brian Rathbone on my kindle.  It was pretty good,  the intro had been lame and I had left it unread for months but was running low on material as my internet was wonky this weekend and it was too cold to do any more outside than feeding the horses so I was spending a lot of time on my kindle.  

I finished up A Flowershop in Baghdad by Michael Banzet last week.   A really good book describing Banzet's background of entering the USAF as enlisted and working up to being a Major as the first third of the book was a neat biography in itself and then Major Banzet describes efforts to rebuild the Iraqi AF,  a neat account of the good people there -- I couldn't read too much of this at once because I kept wondering how much progress has been undone since the MarxSpewMedia connived to get TFG elected and re-elected here. 

No comments: