Saturday, December 23, 2023

The chest freezer died, I noticed it on Wed evening.

 I got the last of the rotted contents thrown away and the cardboard burned today.   I asked L to text the neighborhood ladies for me to solicit some help getting the freezer out of the house Thursday morning and one volunteered her sons after they got home from school.  I was shocked that they were in school on the 21st.  They were very nice capable young men.  Not just brawn, but knew how to deal with moving a heavy freezer.  I had pulled a few things out of the freezer Wed night when I noticed the light blinking and opened the freezer to find UGH, everything has been warm long enough to be rotting.   Thankfully most of the meat was in vacuum seal bags, but there was still some smelly liquid at the bottom of the freezer.   In the wee hours Thursday I was not sleeping, and had a pain in my chest.  It didn't feel like my typical gas pain from eating too much too late in the day but I had been stress eating that evening,  finally I made myself get up to check some vital signs, kept thinking "this feels nothing like what I think a heart attack would feel like, but women supposedly have heart attacks w/o obvious symptoms and I can't die, I need to take care of Tanza so I need to call 911 if I might be having some serious medical issue"  After I stumbled downstairs I pulled my coffee out of the freezer, pushed the freezer away from the wall a bit, I had thought maybe I could get it shoved out of the door, and went "I definitely need to get neighbor muscle to help me with this tomorrow" and dumped a bag of kitty litter in it.   Then I took my pulse and O2 with the finger monitor and my BP and they were fine, plus I had felt fine shoving the freezer.  

Yesterday, the 22nd, I put up the tree on top of the coffee table behind dad's bed.   It has the lights but I didn't get any ornaments on it.  I have the box of ornaments in the porch but I don't know if I'll get any on the tree.  The substitute aide today had hurt her foot and said she couldn't do much housework.  I should have directed her to cut rags and tape up telfa pads for me, but I let her just sit and play on her phone when she wasn't doing stuff for dad.   Dad did decide to move to bed while I was bagging up the last of the freezer contents, I was all "Oh not now, I've got freezer yuck on my clothes when I came in and heard her", but they had made it to the bed already on their own by the time I shucked the icky jacket and muck boots so I just got the pickup and got the bagged rotted food to the dumpster.   At least it is supposed to be cooler tomorrow.  I felt kind of bad putting that stuff in the shared with neighbor dumpster but what else was I going to do?  I did burn the soggy smelly cardboard in the burn barrel. 

Neighbors had a fair amount of company over.  At least the dumpster is not too close to their house.  And it's not like they had told me they were having people over on today; I might have delayed putting stuff in the dumpster if I had known they'd be entertaining.   I had thought about asking if their kids might come over and decorate the tree but hadn't asked before deciding I NEEDED to get the freezer contents into the dumpster, so with them having company today I just shelved the idea of texting one of them to ask. 

No comments: