Thursday, April 14, 2022

Getting excited rather than nervous about going to Moab, but thinking I will just leave in the wee hours tomorrow

I don't like having to get up and going super early to get to a ride but I didn't get a layover lined up and I'm too nervous of trying to find the basecamp in the dark and no way I can get going for another couple of hours.   So Tanza will have to overnight in a small pen here at home so I can catch him in the early morning.   Maybe I'll stick Lady in with him and take the extra 10 minutes to move her in the morning.  That should work OK.   Since he thwarts me so often for early morning starts for day riding I think I'll start penning him every time and won't bother with a company horse for day trips; but I want him munching happily and relaxing overnight with the long haul and first time going 25+ miles this year.  

So now I at least sort of have free time today, but I need to get organized that everything is in the trailer, have it turned around so not doing that in morning dark and barely woke up, take a shower and really get my hair washed well and try to get to bed early so I get some sleep before waking up at 4 am.  So I need to not just quit on my packing and so on.   Dad said he is ok to feed the horses while I'm gone,  Paul and Sarah are right next door so if he needs help all he has to do is ask them.   

Yesterday he was trying to steam cookies to soften them by having 4-5 cookies on a plastic plate over a bowl of water in the microwave. That just burned the cookies and melted the plate cuz the bottom cookie got so hot.  A bit scary because he was sitting right there and not reacting to the strong burnt sugar smell.  But if I start down the road of "I can't go anywhere cuz dad might fall or whatever" already; I am going to miss a lot of riding and end up resenting him and the sibs way too much.   He still drives himself to get his prescriptions and groceries and pays the bills each month and so on so it really isn't like he needs a minder yet.  And if he did then he could just as easily fall and not be able to get up/get to a phone when I was just gone for the day so it is not rational for me to be overly concerned about being gone for a few nights.  

And I sat at the computer "I need to get forecast find out if it is safe to put water in trailer"  and started working again on my PTO day.  THIS is why I need to take some riding trips.  I've become unable to disengage from work when I am home.   I don't work a full day but I'll poke at things on weekends when I have a spare hour and so on.   I need to stop doing that. 

No comments: