Sunday, May 16, 2021

So much for riding with the gang today

 Tanza would not be caught this morning.   Sighhhh.   I've been mildly concerned that something aint quite right with him because he has not been noshing after riding when trailering out.  Switched him back to eq. senior feed in case the strategy was too much starch and not enough fiber.   Made a point to put his salt, clay and minerals in his morning feed this am.    Do not get to find out if this would have resulted in better after ride eating at a trailhead today because he would not be caught.  I will ride him here on the flat dirt roads in a bit.   I will have to get the corral panels up to get back to having a feeding pen for him so he doesn't have so much room to run around working himself up.  Of course if he is too wound up he won't even go into feeding pen but hopefully if I restore the habit of 'you get fed in here' that will sufficient.  He may also start spending the night in a small pen and run when I want to trailer out in the mornings.   He doesn't get to dictate whether we ride or not.   That is not a path I want to go down.   I hate wondering if there is a tummy upset or saddle is uncomfortable for him etc when he gets hard to catch, but it seems more like he just gets into a high energy mode and can't relax and let me do my thing.  But that can also be  a symptom of ulcers.   Not sure if I should try to do the 50 this saturday now.   I'll know better if I get a good ride on him today. 

No comments: