Thursday, May 13, 2021

Got electric fence working yesterday. Let horses out on pasture today

 Dad was right,  the wire was grounded.  I thought I had tested with the gate handle off but I guess not.   My engineer brain,  oh, right, since I was testing by touching it, and skin has some impedance I suppose the electricity was just going to where it was grounded instead.   Anyway, I need to file in the memory bank that a grounded fence wire may not bite even when the ground is after the point where touching it.

I got the tractor out and moved some of the slop away from the fence line in Tanza's pen.   The tractor was spinning out quite a bit in the slick gunk so progress on clearing was slowed.  Tomorrow I will try to get some done in the other pen I think.  Dad did some mowing YAY!   I hate mowing.  Hopefully he gets the yard done while the weather is mild before it gets too hot for him.   

I have got to quit dinking with the work temperature jump issue.   The software that estimates temp from bending angle and NWM data is not right IMO.   The bending angle does have a teeny bias now vs before but its freaking tiny and the weather centers have been using this 'now biased' bending angle for 6 months and no complaints,  so I think the scientist that wrote our temp estimation will have to solve the issue w/o us reverting the bending angle software  back.  But I'm not in charge so who knows.   It does seem less sensitive when using the higher resolution WM, but another scientist is looking at that.  I am supposed to fix to software that does the WM profiles.   Doug Bug.  Those profiles should be on the WM pressure levels but they are not, they are interpolated to the closest height of the BA or something like that.  On the high resolution model that I would most like to get corrected since we'll probably just use that as input the process to find the points to interpolate through is complicated and I can't yet see how to fix to use pressure levels.   

No comments: