Monday, February 12, 2018

Up until Sunday I was starting to think "sheesh I'm going to have hardly anything to offer for sale at the convention."   Sunday when I grabbed my aussie saddle to clean, I decided I should also sell the old Stuben.  Two el cheapo AP english saddles later I spot the Stuben on a high saddle rack.  OhhKaay, so 4 saddles that I washed and need to condition and will take.  And I'm thinking I should take my tressless saddle and maybe go ahead and take the OF too.   Plus  I should take AJ's jumbo size cooler and the large stable sheet I bought off ebay,  that is not waterproof and is too big for most of our horses.  I will have a p/u full of stuff to haul to convention.   I just hope I don't end up taking most of the stuff back home.   I have to figure out what kind of prices to ask.  

Saturday evening the big elm tree tipped into the horse corral.  Resting on a big post by the water tank which did not just bend over and down the fence because the concrete pad that dad poured for the water tank to level it was holding the post up some.   Unexpected benefit from him pouring such a thick pad. 

We sawed the tree up just enough to get it off the fence on Sunday.  I had dad get the tractor so that I could saw some high limbs w/o taking away limbs that the tree was resting on in addition to the fence post holding it and we could chain around the tree to hold it after cutting off the part that was resting on the ground.   That worked well.   But, I emulated dad's lack of paying attention to being on a platform after I had gotten chain saw stuck and we had finally gotten it freed and tumbled out of the tractor bucket backwards.   Gave myself a small goose egg and wee scalp cut and scraped my forearm good with some bruising as well.  OUCH.   But I was able to shake it off after several minutes and helped dad finish up the sawing and then I fetched some hay while he carefully stacked all the limbs into one brush pile.   I had thought we might get someone to take the thick branches and trunk sections and would have left it more scattered to make it easier to saw and remove thick tree sections but it will be fine to just have a bonfire of the whole thing.  

Saturday I made barbecue with a bison roast.   Cooked in crockpot with coke and onion soup mix, plus a bit of Worc. sauce, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 2 tablespoons of whiskey, salt and pepper on roast as I browned it in bacon grease and 2 tsp of chile powder and diced dried garlic for 1 hour in pressure cooker and let it cool down on its own for the 20 or so minutes.  Then drained and reserved liquid.  Shredded the meat and when I was ready to reheat it to serve mixed some of that liquid with some bottled sweet barbecue sauce.  

And made some biscuits from a very old mix we had.  It all turned out pretty tasty.   I had thought I would either sear marinaded steaks and finish in oven or make spaghetti with ground bison meat but after I hit my head while messing with the tree removal on Sunday I just came in house, carbed out and had just a bit of leftover barbecue and dad was on his own to find himself some supper.    I can't be SusyQ homemaker on days when I've had to be lumberjack or whatever.   If I had not had to eat and eat  after late breakfast but no lunch with the tree project I probably would have asked dad to run in and get a pizza or something, I did NOT feel like cooking.  

No comments: