Friday, February 16, 2018

Got my mugs for my vendor raffle item. Pretty.

Had a fascinating conversation with the lady who painted them.   Boy did I ever have a wrong initial impression about her.   Well the impression that she was a nice and capable person was correct.  But I thought of her as having led a sheltered rich wife life but still being nice.  Just because her DH is building homes and now I realize I don't know how that is set up, I think now he may be working with/for a developer and making good money but is not rich/getting rich which I was assuming he had big money and was making even more as a developer/builder when I first heard house builder.

  Turns out she had a drug addict first spouse she had to divorce as a young women with 2 little kids and worked as a cop for a housing authority in Watts at one point some years after the divorce.   She has way way more depth of life experience than I have had, and in some ways I've had a good depth of experience.  I grew up poor in money although it was not obvious to me as a kid since we were the ranch hands kids with a wonderful rancher.  Now I make pretty decent money and the miserly grandparents left enough money to mom that I'm not having to help dad in any way and in fact there will be some estate unless he needs expensive medical treatment or extended nursing home care in his final years.  Which I should not need any inheritance, but I think it will be nice for the sibs who have both ended up with partners who are anti-frugal.   But I have never lived in a big city, either being poor or with having money, and I can scarcely imagine working as a cop, let alone in a poor section of LA, possibly at a time when things were better after Reagan years before declining again, but still, wow.

I have the 4 english saddles I will take to convention washed and one coat of oil applied.  I think they all need another coat.  A couple of them probably need more than 1 more coat.   I have washed several all purpose saddle pads to take and will check the tack room for more tomorrow.  One pad that I washed needs a second wash to get clean.   I am leaning towards taking my endurance saddles that I don't use anymore as well.  That is my Franken-flex and a treeless saddle I have.  If I found I wanted a treeless type saddle in the future I could afford to buy one then, but it would be nice to have less space hog stuff that I never use at this point in my life.    Mostly I need to start packing stuff into my p/u and see how much stuff I have.  Low hanging fruit first; I think this is my current life motto.




No comments: