Monday, August 24, 2015

Tanza has his first completions after this weekend



He did two fairly tough 30 mile rides. I am very pleased with how he did. He camped very well, ate and drank like a pro all weekend and only had a few race brain and baby brain moments. I rode with Janet and Ladybug and her friend Kitty and Kitty's foxtrotter mare both days. Janet suggested I should put a German martingale on him and I think I will for a few rides. Apparently this high head carriage is not just something that has happened passing the photographers. And I was not pulling him up to increase spacing on this day so the picture should be representative of how Tanza was traveling. He needs to drop his head and make things easier on his back.


It turned into a sad weekend on Saturday when we learned the RMs son had died Friday night. Apparently he had some health issues and forgot to take some medication from the 3rd hand information in camp. They of course canceled the Sunday ride day. The volunteers, head vet and ride secretary kept everything flowing well to finish up the ride on Saturday and organized folks to pull ribbons on Sunday. I did not join in that since they had enough help. I helped with gathering up water tanks, breaking down tables and so on at base camp and called it good before driving home on Sunday. I was planning to skip the last day before we heard the news anyway. It was pretty tough trail so I felt like 2 days was enough stress on my youngster.



Now I am back at work and yawning as I didn't have a coffee after lunch plus I'm still wiped out from the driving and riding in fairly warm weather. I have quite a way to go to get back into the shape I was 4-5 years ago when I would ride 75-80 miles in a weekend, doing a 50 one day and then an LD the other ride day on the weaker horse. But it feels good to at least finish two LDs in a weekend.


No comments: