Saturday, August 15, 2015

riding update.

I rode Tanza 4 miles Tuesday and again on Thursday.   He was so good trail riding that I kind of forgot that I have the *"Whoa I have a lot of horse under me" feeling riding a bit faster to condition at home.    He was a bit nervous about the wind blowing over the corn field we were next to on Tuesday.   Thursday I considered going the other way but the grass/sand burrs were so thick with no clear tracks that I went "Ugh, no way"  besides I need to avoid the trap of trying to limit exposure to common things just because Tanza gets a bit nervous.   He needs to learn that we can handle anything that comes our way.   He was good both days,  but I had no worries that he might jump and lose me on Thursday.   Tuesday he had not been ridden for a couple of weeks and it showed.

Sadie should be at the end of the 30 days off the acupuncture vet recommended with her popped splint so I'll probably try to take a slow easy ride on her today.   It is supposed to be cooler on Sunday so that should work for getting a longer working ride on Tanza.    This week I am no longer feeling like I can handle heat better than last year or two and have been feeling wilted after a bit of work in the warm sunny mornings.   Maybe the humidity is higher.   More jogging this fall and winter is needed so I can be ready to really ride my athletic horse next year and hopefully keep Sadie in light distance work as well.    I am so thankful that she showed her limitations last year and I was shopping at the right time to snap up Tanza.  

*This is a riding term,  Tanza is not a lot of horse either in height or weight -- to riders the term usually means the horse can move powerfully or quickly or both.  

No comments: