Monday, December 1, 2014

Survived thanksgiving feast

My advance planning to cook on Sunday was good,  the weather was lovely Thursday through Saturday and I rode all three days.   Took Sadie on Thursday and Saturday about 4 miles each day and on Friday I rode Tanza a couple miles solo.   He did pretty good, some stopping on the way out but when I exercised my patience and let him look for a good minute he was then ready to go on and did not try to turn and go home.   He was trying to rush when we turned around but I was in the strip they smoothed out when they put in the natural gas/oil pipeline so I had lots of room to do 'one rein stops'/ bend a whoas and he was ready to walk nicely by the time I got back to the road section so that worked out well.

Dr Mike was out this morning and we did the blood draw to get allergy testing done.   He thinks Tanza is having some continued allergic reaction to something, said its common that horses have multiple allergies and when the major thing sets them off the minor allergies that wouldn't have been a problem get triggered for a while.  I need to buy some more omega shine or other flax based supplement with lots of omega3 and omega6 and whatnot.  Sadie doesn't have any issues in the winter so I had not bought more after feeding the last of it in September.   I may need to give Tanza the Platinum supplement that is specific for allergies too but I'll wait and see what shows up on the testing.

Thanksgiving meal turned out OK,  turkey was drier than the last few times when I've brined;  I think I cooked it longer than needed or maybe at a hotter temp.   I will try the oven bag and low temps next year.   This is the first time I used this roaster and it hogged so much space in the oven I had to use a shallow pan and not even foil for the squash and the pieces of squash on top were overly dry.    Oh well,  having the food be only mediocre will lessen desire to have me cooking a whole lot and that is all to the good.

I spent a lot of my long weekend just being lazy.   Feels good to do that once in a while although I want to put my noise to the tossing junk and organizing stuff to be kept this winter.  I hate when I can't find something and don't know if I used it up or tossed it away because 'never gets used.'  I want to get things to having a place and if its not in that place then yes I forgot to buy more or tossed some item I had been saving away because it sat for years w/o getting used for anything.

No comments: